Which influencers do you really trust recommendations from?

ccbaggirl89

Mar 26, 2015
I have never understood the whole appeal of unboxing videos. Vicarious living, maybe? Why not get something you own or do a swap with a friend, have them wrap prettily it for you and open it? Voila! Non-vicarious thrill!

Maybe it’s me, since I buy things for form, function, quality and longevity....whether it’s wrapped in tissue, ribbon and has a fancy box means nothing to me and will matter even less after you had a bag for a year or two. Initial impressions are just that....initial impressions. A cheap plastic bag can have a great initial impression, but how will it look next year? I want to know how something will wear, especially if I am spending a lot of money. I want value. I don’t wear the tissue, ribbon or box!
Ditto. I tend to like the 2 year wear/tear or 5 year wear/tear handbag videos b/c those are true owners of the bag and they will KNOW about the bag and the pros/cons. Owning a bag for 1 day or even 1 month - not a great way to judge it at all. You need to be using the bag regularly for a quality review, of anything, really. I like unboxing videos in most categories, especially electronics, to see what you are supposed to get inside the box and how the item should come packaged, with like accessories and such. I don't care one bit for unboxings of bags or accessories.

TheNordstrom Anniversary Saleis NOW open to Ambassador cardmembers.Click or tap to shop the Nordstrom sale!
P.S. Don't forget to join the activeNAS 2020 threadand share your hauls with the community!

roxi88

O.G.
Jan 16, 2009
I found Kelly Jane on YouTube even before I registered for this site, and I really enjoyed her content. But I just went to pull up her channel on YouTube. All her videos are gone, and her channel says that it has no content. Does anyone know what happened? Did she ever make a video (or post elsewhere), saying that she was deleting?

She had mentioned that she worked in finance. I wonder if her main job had anything to do with her deleting all her content.
I also miss her.

Claire023

May 14, 2020
Ditto. I tend to like the 2 year wear/tear or 5 year wear/tear handbag videos b/c those are true owners of the bag and they will KNOW about the bag and the pros/cons. Owning a bag for 1 day or even 1 month - not a great way to judge it at all. You need to be using the bag regularly for a quality review, of anything, really. I like unboxing videos in most categories, especially electronics, to see what you are supposed to get inside the box and how the item should come packaged, with like accessories and such. I don't care one bit for unboxings of bags or accessories.
I do understand your point of view, but I kind of disagree to some extent, just based on my own buying habits (which are 100% online these days).

Before buying any handbags, I now search on YouTube to see if there is a video on the bag because if I am contemplating a purchase, I kind of want to see a video from someone who shows you the interior structure, a full 360 and what actually fits (which is so often keyed off of structure and flexibility even more than dimensions). For example, I was toying with the idea of buying a certain bag and really wanted to know if the strap was detachable (something impossible to tell from the website). Someone I follow on YouTube had purchased it and posted that it was not. Decision made! Or sometimes the colors of bags on the website look a bit different than a bag in the wild, so I want to get that real life perspective.

I don’t really care if they haven’t put the bag through its paces yet because by the time they do, the product may (probably will) no longer be available at retail. Plus, the boxes and wrappings can be cute to take a look at.

I’m always mindful of the fact that people who were gifted bags or even who got the bag at a discount because they got it through a promoted retailer partnership are not going to be objective. But I just view first impressions videos as another form of window shopping.