What's your unpopular opinion on luxury shopping?

DME

Handbag Aficionado
Sep 1, 2019
Standing in a queue just to get inside the store and then rush to buy something, is not luxury experience to me.
This. Luxury houses are blaming COVID mitigations for this sales model (and many are saying it’s here to stay), but I disagree. Louis Vuitton was taking names on an iPad and making customers wait for the next available SA long before COVID hit; it‘s just gotten worse with capacity limits, etc. Once you finally do get help, SAs try to push the most expensive items on you because their numbers depend on it. This is not a luxury buying experience. Instead it feels more like a used car experience.

lill_canele

Jun 21, 2021
This. Luxury houses are blaming COVID mitigations for this sales model (and many are saying it’s here to stay), but I disagree. Louis Vuitton was taking names on an iPad and making customers wait for the next available SA long before COVID hit; it‘s just gotten worse with capacity limits, etc. Once you finally do get help, SAs try to push the most expensive items on you because their numbers depend on it. This is not a luxury buying experience. Instead it feels more like a used car experience.
Agree, I remember one of my first experiences at an LV store pre-covid, maybe around 2016?. I don't believe there was a line at the time, but I was assigned an SA to help me with my potential purchases. I was interested in the key pouches (so nothing big) and she showed them to me. While I was looking at one of them (keep in mind, I was new to LV and wasn't sure if I wanted the item or not), the SA looked at me and said: "So are you going to buy it or not?" in a somewhat impatient tone. And that put me off, so I said no thank you and just walked out.
I understand the pressure in the industry, and the item I was looking at wasn't going to give great commission if any at all, but that was not a luxury experience. :blah:

DME

Handbag Aficionado
Sep 1, 2019
Agree, I remember one of my first experiences at an LV store pre-covid, maybe around 2016?. I don't believe there was a line at the time, but I was assigned an SA to help me with my potential purchases. I was interested in the key pouches (so nothing big) and she showed them to me. While I was looking at one of them (keep in mind, I was new to LV and wasn't sure if I wanted the item or not), the SA looked at me and said: "So are you going to buy it or not?" in a somewhat impatient tone. And that put me off, so I said no thank you and just walked out.
I understand the pressure in the industry, and the item I was looking at wasn't going to give great commission if any at all, but that was not a luxury experience. :blah:
What they don’t seem to understand is that an early, small purchase and a favorable experience can be a long term relationship with a lot of spend in the making. This kind of attitude is so shortsighted!

lill_canele

Jun 21, 2021
What they don’t seem to understand is that an early, small purchase and a favorable experience can be a long term relationship with a lot of spend in the making. This kind of attitude is so shortsighted!
Could not agree more! :tup:
When I was in college, I walked into the Burberry and Dior store and had the most lovely experiences there even though I could not afford anything and was never going to buy anything. Same with Saint Laurent a little later down the line.
Fast forward to today, I am a loyal (or I like to think, haha) client of all 3 luxury houses. I have a wonderful relationship with all my SAs, and, the rest is history. (cus that's where my money went haha) :biggrin:

DME

Handbag Aficionado
Sep 1, 2019
Could not agree more! :tup:
When I was in college, I walked into the Burberry and Dior store and had the most lovely experiences there even though I could not afford anything and was never going to buy anything. Same with Saint Laurent a little later down the line.
Fast forward to today, I am a loyal (or I like to think, haha) client of all 3 luxury houses. I have a wonderful relationship with all my SAs, and, the rest is history. (cus that's where my money went haha) :biggrin:
It’s funny you mention Burberry since that’s the luxury house where I feel I have received the best service in recent years! I purchased a trench at the flagship in London in 2019 and the entire experience was exactly as you would hope. And I have an SA in Las Vegas who has been nothing short of exceptional. These positive experiences have made me more and more inclined to shop Burberry and go a long way toward cementing my loyalty to the brand.

coffee2go

Nov 18, 2021
I’ve been always wondering why so many people keep buying Chanel when most of the time unless you’re VIC you’re treated quite bad at Chanel in my experience. No aftercare for bags, no repair for fashion jewelry and so on. Basically your paying crazy money for stuff that is going to break sooner or later and not receive any afterservice for your purchase.

30th anniversary cuff
O.G.
Aug 31, 2008
I won’t purchase anything if I’m not well treated (that goes for bags, RTW or fine jewelry)

I’m not a VIP at chanel, but I started shopping RTW in 2001 (back when I started, only one or two pieces) and I stuck to the same location, same lovely SA for my purchases. After she left, I took a long hiatus of some years, but I’ve been treated well since then (chanel apparently keeps track of their customers former purchase history).

I have had the worst service at LV and at Burberry though, and I cannot understand why people shop there :smile: It is a mystery that customer service can vary so widely.

as for Hermes abroad, tourists seemed to be soundly ignored throughout various Italian boutiques (even though I wasn’t looking at bags, but RTW and fine jewelry), so I’ve made a decision to stick to my home boutique.

VCA and Bulgari were both lovely to me as a tourist, which made me understand how much better customer service can be in fine jewelry (it’s obviously harder to sell at certain price points)

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2009
I've never been huge on luxe but I have to agree with Dior>Chanel and Mock croc>real croc (the pores of the leather creep me out).
The pandemic has affect luxury shopping in a big way. I am reluctant to let go of my money with higher prices and without the luxury experience. It's a lose-lose situation. Go to the boutique but wait in line to get in, and sometimes that's a long wait. That removes you from the luxury experience. Online? You don't get to feel the product for yourself and assess before you purchase. What is luxe anymore?

Speaking of which, if none of the luxury houses offer anything fresh, more power to the contemporary brands.

The Bey and Jay-Z Tiffany campaign: I think it's stale. It's yet another celebrity endorsement and I don't actually know what the Basquiat had to do with Tiffany. What do I know about art? Are people actually buying Tiffany's because they're responding well to the Not Your Mother's campaign, or are they buying it because of the nostalgia of the 90s/00s?

• Thanks
Reactions: maris.crane

maris.crane

oh hai mark
May 18, 2017
The Bey and Jay-Z Tiffany campaign: I think it's stale. It's yet another celebrity endorsement and I don't actually know what the Basquiat had to do with Tiffany. What do I know about art? Are people actually buying Tiffany's because they're responding well to the Not Your Mother's campaign, or are they buying it because of the nostalgia of the 90s/00s?
I hope this doesn't sound... erm, rude. But the idea of Beyonce humming or singing along to Moon River a few years after we all heard about Lemonade and Jay Z has admitted to his own transgressions, I find it an... odd choice when I presume it's supposed to be about selling us a glamourous love story.

Like, when I think great love Jay and Bey are not the first two celebrities that come to mind.

lill_canele

Jun 21, 2021
I won’t purchase anything if I’m not well treated (that goes for bags, RTW or fine jewelry)

I’m not a VIP at chanel, but I started shopping RTW in 2001 (back when I started, only one or two pieces) and I stuck to the same location, same lovely SA for my purchases. After she left, I took a long hiatus of some years, but I’ve been treated well since then (chanel apparently keeps track of their customers former purchase history).

I have had the worst service at LV and at Burberry though, and I cannot understand why people shop there :smile: It is a mystery that customer service can vary so widely.

as for Hermes abroad, tourists seemed to be soundly ignored throughout various Italian boutiques (even though I wasn’t looking at bags, but RTW and fine jewelry), so I’ve made a decision to stick to my home boutique.

VCA and Bulgari were both lovely to me as a tourist, which made me understand how much better customer service can be in fine jewelry (it’s obviously harder to sell at certain price points)
You make a good point (though it's probably a common opinion and not an unpopular opinion haha), that it's disappointing to find inconsistencies in service for luxury brands. When they should probably be the same overall. :P

Speaking of Hermes, I have not been to Hermes abroad but for my local Hermes I stepped in for the first time in 2 years earlier this year and to my surprise they actually remembered me! And I barely bought anything from them before that haha. Though they still send me items in the mail, but I find that pretty generic for luxury brands overall. They could have looked up my purchase history before my appointment, haha, who knows! But I appreciate the local SA's (or now my SA haha) thoughtfulness and service! :tup:

• Insightful
Reactions: 880

DME

Handbag Aficionado
Sep 1, 2019
I’ve been always wondering why so many people keep buying Chanel when most of the time unless you’re VIC you’re treated quite bad at Chanel in my experience.
In my local Chanel boutique, the security guard watching the door treats me better than the SAs (and he remembers me every time). The SAs barely glance up. Hmmm…

I get better service with my regular SAs at the four stores where I have them (all in Las Vegas, and I don’t even live there!). The only problem with this is not every store has the same stock and having to make an appointment takes all the spontaneity out of shopping. Sometimes I like to wander around and see what speaks to me, despite my typical planner tendencies. Hard to do when you’re locked in to a specific store at a specific hour…

jelliedfeels

Feb 28, 2021
I hope this doesn't sound... erm, rude. But the idea of Beyonce humming or singing along to Moon River a few years after we all heard about Lemonade and Jay Z has admitted to his own transgressions, I find it an... odd choice when I presume it's supposed to be about selling us a glamourous love story.

Like, when I think great love Jay and Bey are not the first two celebrities that come to mind.
You know I’d forgot he cheated on her but I agree I’ve always seen it as more of a business relationship.

I do think it is hard for famous women to find an equal partner though. Bey’s done well going with someone who is rich and business savvy rather than a golddigger like Britney and Jlo or a total scumbag like Nicki did.

On luxury shopping, I think most perfumes in the ‘exclusifs’ style lines are not up to much and certainly not premium quality and they should concentrate on the quality of their pillar releases if they feel the cash cow isn’t paying like it used to. There’s a reason indie houses are flourishing despite their price points.

Nov 6, 2017
I feel like with Instagram, many people doing luxury shopping have lost their true creative spark.

I can’t tell you how many pics I’ve seen of people with Hermes and VCA, or a Chanel bag with an armful of Cartier love bangles. Yes these items are beautiful but if you have that much money (assuming it’s all real) put it towards something else?

Apr 22, 2018
My unpopular opinions about luxury:

- No, you don’t “work” with your SA to buy your bag. It’s not a working relationship. If you buy a bag, they most likely receive a commission, so they are “working” for themselves, not you.

- No, you don’t need to feel pressured to buy a bag just because you’re offered (FOMO). What is meant to be yours will eventually come.

- Handbags aren’t investment in a financial sense because there’s very little profit in return.