Overheard Hermès

Notorious Pink

Hermès PurseBlogger!
O.G.
Jun 8, 2007
New York
we did close to it. we bought similarly expensive item with gift cards ($100) bc it was discounted to purchase the gift cards - frequent promotion in our major retail grocery stores.

the customer service representatives nodded in agreement that they also did the same things - bought the discounted gift cards to pay things e.g. bills, shopping, etc.
Paying with gift cards is fine! Lots of people do that. Maybe not entirely with gift cards (lots of signing!) but yeah, that’s not uncommon.

Notorious Pink

Hermès PurseBlogger!
O.G.
Jun 8, 2007
New York
I personally love the B25 - the 35 is way too big for me - slides up my arm fine. I think it just depends on your proportions and how much you carry.

with that said, I was hoping for a retourne 28 a few weeks ago, and my SA, apologizing (lol), came out with….a B25.

Anyway, Madison does have a private room downstairs, which is great, but you still have to go upstairs to the silk counter if you want to get twillies to match. I was practically embarrassed, and just let the handles peek out to get an idea (and of course I bought twillies to match, because I was so H-intoxicated in the moment I forgot that I already have several pairs of twillies that already match). Fortunately I always take the first appointment of the day, so almost no one else is in the boutique that early.

MaryAndDogs

Jan 25, 2015
Germany
I can't fit enough dog treats into smaller bags. So, that's a total no-go :biggrin:
Plus, I usually need to have TWO drinks in my hands (can't risk any shortages on that front, can we?) so I cannot waste a "hand drink-holding ability" on carrying some sort of a statement in form of a leather good :smile: Nope. As much as others swear by those miniature bags, let's live large! :biggrin:

I can totally see how a Kelly could be a miniature, elegant, "dainty" little thing: small, smaller, tiny, miniscule...But not a Birkin please! Birkin is a carry all bag that's meant to be slougy and overloaded with old flight tickets, iffy water bottles, delicious sandwiches and slightly stinky swimming suit reaking of salty ocean water :smile:

paula24jen

O.G.
Sep 10, 2007
I can't fit enough dog treats into smaller bags. So, that's a total no-go :biggrin:
Plus, I usually need to have TWO drinks in my hands (can't risk any shortages on that front, can we?) so I cannot waste a "hand drink-holding ability" on carrying some sort of a statement in form of a leather good :smile: Nope. As much as others swear by those miniature bags, let's live large! :biggrin:

I can totally see how a Kelly could be a miniature, elegant, "dainty" little thing: small, smaller, tiny, miniscule...But not a Birkin please! Birkin is a carry all bag that's meant to be slougy and overloaded with old flight tickets, iffy water bottles, delicious sandwiches and slightly stinky swimming suit reaking of salty ocean water :smile:
Mary, you sound like a fun kinda woman!

Amka

May 16, 2015
I have seen a lot of bad behavior in the store as well, but to counter all the bad stuff I think I want to share a good encounter that I was lucky to have with a very nice lady sometime ago.

It happened while I was in the store chatting with my SA regarding what was coming out in the new collection at that time. I had my Goldie with me, and I had placed it on the counter top between us. Then I overheard a lady talking to her SA, and she said “Gold on gold looks so beautiful! Please put this combo on my wishlist as well!”

Both my SA and I overheard her comments, and my SA winked at me and said “someone is admiring your bag”. Then before I knew it, like a ninja, that same lady was suddenly standing right next to us, and she said to me: “You have to take this bag, it is so beautiful! It would be crazy to reject this offer! Take it and run!”

I was quite surprised that she thought my Goldie was a brand new bag! I thanked her for her compliment, then I told her that I have already owned this bag over 5 years, so it is not new. Her eyes widened with surprise when she heard how old the bag was.

She complimented my bag agin, then walked back to her SA and told her “Definitely, put this combo on my wishlist! It looks great!”

She was so nice and polite. I hope she has already gotten her own Goldie and is enjoying it as much as I enjoy mine!

Amka

May 16, 2015
Here is something that I overheard while browsing in another store several years ago…

I was on holiday in New York City, and I went to the Madison store to find some gifts. While I was there browsing the scarves on the first floor, two ladies walked into the store and what happened next was so bizarre that I still remember the details like it happened yesterday.

The two ladies that walked in appeared to be lost and seemed to be looking for directions, let’s call them A and B…

(Upon entering, they immediately see the security guard by the door and approach him)

A: “Do you know where is that famous French handbag store? We know the shop is somewhere around here on this street, but we can not find it!”
B: “Yah, we are lost. Do you know? It is very famous! Prestigous! Everyone wants their tote!”

(Puzzled, the security guard tries to figure out how to answer their questions)

A: “Don’t ask him, ask a lady! He is a guy! He doesn’t know anything about good French bags! There! There is a lady! Ask her!”

(They spot a sales lady on the floor, and go over to grab her attention)

A: Hi! Do you know where that famous French handbag store is? It should be somewhere around this area!”

SA (With hesitation in her voice): “What are you looking for?”

A: “The French store that sells tote bags! The famous tote bag!”
B: “Yes, we are looking for that famous French handbag store! Very good quality! Very popular! Everyone wants it!”
A: “That store should be somewhere on this street, do you know?”

SA (With a confused look): “We do sell handbags here. If you go downstairs…”

A: “Downstairs? No! We don’t want any cheap, sales items in the basement! We are looking for good quality French bags!!!”

SA (Even more confused, but trying to be patient and polite): “Do you know the name of the bag you are looking for?”

A: “The name of the bag? The name of the bag…. The name of the bag…..”
(Both the women mumbled, trying to figure out what was the name of the bag that they so eagerly wanted…)
B: “It is a famous tote bag! A big tote bag! I don’t remember what it’s called…”
A: “It’s a simple tote bag that everyone wants! Arrrgh, I just can’t remember the name….”

(They continue to mumble, and eventually one of them all of a sudden thinks of something, and said)
B: “I think it starts with a ‘L’?”

SA: “An ‘L’? Would you please describe what this tote bag looks like?”

A: “It is big, it has top handle and shoulder straps… A zipper on top…”
B: “And it is very light weight! The canvas is very durable and foldable, perfect for traveling and shopping…”

(One of them suddenly has an epiphany, and remembers what the name of the bag is)
B: “Le Pliage! We are looking for a Le Pliage!”

SA: “Oh, so you are looking for a tote bag from Longchamp! That shop is about a block north of here!”

A: “See! I told you to ask a lady! She knows where to find good quality French bags!”
(They thanked the SA for helping them and happily leave the store. The SA and security guard looked at each other and they both shrugged in disbelief…)

This is probably the most funny/bizarre thing that I have ever overheard in a store.

lilmermaid264

Nov 29, 2012
Here is something that I overheard while browsing in another store several years ago…

I was on holiday in New York City, and I went to the Madison store to find some gifts. While I was there browsing the scarves on the first floor, two ladies walked into the store and what happened next was so bizarre that I still remember the details like it happened yesterday.

The two ladies that walked in appeared to be lost and seemed to be looking for directions, let’s call them A and B…

(Upon entering, they immediately see the security guard by the door and approach him)

A: “Do you know where is that famous French handbag store? We know the shop is somewhere around here on this street, but we can not find it!”
B: “Yah, we are lost. Do you know? It is very famous! Prestigous! Everyone wants their tote!”

A: “Don’t ask him, ask a lady! He is a guy! He doesn’t know anything about good French bags! There! There is a lady! Ask her!”

A: Hi! Do you know where that famous French handbag store is? It should be somewhere around this area!”

B: “Yes, we are looking for that famous French handbag store! Very good quality! Very popular! Everyone wants it!”

A: “Downstairs? No! We don’t want any cheap, sales items in the basement! We are looking for good quality French bags!!!”

SA (Even more confused, but trying to be patient and polite): “Do you know the name of the bag you are looking for?”

(Both the women mumbled, trying to figure out what was the name of the bag that they so eagerly wanted…)
B: “It is a famous tote bag! A big tote bag! I don’t remember what it’s called…”
A: “It’s a simple tote bag that everyone wants! Arrrgh, I just can’t remember the name….”

(They continue to mumble, and eventually one of them all of a sudden thinks of something, and said)

B: “And it is very light weight! The canvas is very durable and foldable, perfect for traveling and shopping…”

(One of them suddenly has an epiphany, and remembers what the name of the bag is)

SA: “Oh, so you are looking for a tote bag from Longchamp! That shop is about a block north of here!”

A: “See! I told you to ask a lady! She knows where to find good quality French bags!”
(They thanked the SA for helping them and happily leave the store. The SA and security guard looked at each other and they both shrugged in disbelief…)

This is probably the most funny/bizarre thing that I have ever overheard in a store.
I love this, and the fun twist at the end!

loh

Be grateful and kind
O.G.
Jan 4, 2009

This one I love! It sounds like straight out of a sitcom. :lol:

Mapoon

Aug 14, 2016
Brisbane, Australia

I really enjoyed reading it...cannot wait for the ending lol!! The intuition of the female SA :biggrin:

Amka

May 16, 2015
I love this, and the fun twist at the end!
This one I love! It sounds like straight out of a sitcom. :lol:
I really enjoyed reading it...cannot wait for the ending lol!! The intuition of the female SA :biggrin:
Thanks! If I did not witness it myself, I would not believe that THIS actually happened either!

When I was there, I kept thinking to myself, was this for real? Is there a hidden camera somewhere ready to capture other people’s reactions? I was wondering if those two ladies (they looked like they were in their 50s) lost a bet, and this was the challenge that they had to do? However, they seemed to be genuinely happy when they learned where the Longchamp store was… Like I said, this is the most funny/bizarre thing that I have ever overheard in a store.

30th anniversary cuff
O.G.
Aug 31, 2008

This is the best ever! Thank you! My own mom, age 75, swears by Le sport sac :smile: bc le pliage is. . . too expensive

leechiyong

Sep 3, 2013

This is hilarious, though I'm currently wondering what bags they would have been shown had they gone downstairs.