"Oldies" no longer relevant?

vesna

O.G.
Jan 18, 2008
Canada
yes, yes, thanks so much for correction, I did not know the name at all, it is a bit smaller than my cross-body hip, strap is also very very short, amazing leather and shine, I am thinking on replacing the strap with something for cross-body, maybe even hermes twilies :smile:
I attached a sturdy cross-body cell phone strap from Turkish company Happy-Ness and made it into a hip LOL, it is a bit smaller than my hip

Attachments

Conni618

Authenticator
O.G.
Mar 27, 2007
Thank you for this amazing idea! :heart: I’ve been having so much trouble matching colors for extra crossbody straps for Firsts. This type of strap may actually be sturdy enough for a lightly packed First, is adorable, and would work with several colors.

CeeJay

A BAL-enced Life!
O.G.
Dec 6, 2005
A Yank in SoCAL
I attached a sturdy cross-body cell phone strap from Turkish company Happy-Ness and made it into a hip LOL, it is a bit smaller than my hip
LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this!!!!!! I find as I am now older and not working, I really don't need a large bag (as a matter of fact, the City seems almost too big for me now - go figure!!).

Feb 5, 2008
LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this!!!!!! I find as I am now older and not working, I really don't need a large bag (as a matter of fact, the City seems almost too big for me now - go figure!!).
Haha @CeeJay I am doing the opposite of you! I figure since I plan on becoming a mommy within the next year or two, the bigger the bag the better.:giggle: Have myself eyeing the Weekenders nowadays.

Reactions: Monz1987

amstevens714

Livingthecasuallife
O.G.
Oct 4, 2009
I honestly have no idea how to find these gems because I don’t know how to tell chevre from other leathers and age but when I see a beautifully saturated oldie in good condition here, I’m mesmerized lol.

Reactions: Monz1987

Monz1987

May 6, 2020
Ontario, Canada
I received this pretty purse last week: S/S 2004 Seafoam with pewter h/w and chèvre leather... only worn once or twice according to the seller. I definitely see the colour saturation difference on this bag. It’s soooo beautifully saturated. I couldn’t believe the condition though. No scuffed corners, and the handles aren’t even the least big warmed. The chèvre on this bag is so soft, puffy, and sumptuous, but my fave leather is on my 08 S/S Black First because it’s even more smooshy and puffy than my 04 Purse.

8238734D-5628-4DB5-A31E-009C06FC2A63.jpeg

4F057E0B-1E4A-4C7D-ACA8-82C24D4CB76A.jpeg

221079E7-1F35-4504-A8C1-5CE0AC659153.jpeg

samfalstaff

Holy Hannah!
May 31, 2013
San Rafael, California
This is the thread I've been looking for! I've been on the fence about a F/W 2006 bag from Yoogies because I wanted to get the yummy, chewy, thick chevre leather from the "oldie" days. I'm just not sure about the leather and it doesn't look good in the photos. http://www.yoogiscloset.com/balenciaga-marron-chevre-leather-motorcycle-city-bag-109148.html
If the leather is from F/W 2006, then it should be that great, thick, smooshy leather from that time period, right? Let me know if this is the wrong thread...Thanks for any info!

fayden

latest obsession :
O.G.
Nov 18, 2005
big apple
This is the thread I've been looking for! I've been on the fence about a F/W 2006 bag from Yoogies because I wanted to get the yummy, chewy, thick chevre leather from the "oldie" days. I'm just not sure about the leather and it doesn't look good in the photos. http://www.yoogiscloset.com/balenciaga-marron-chevre-leather-motorcycle-city-bag-109148.html
If the leather is from F/W 2006, then it should be that great, thick, smooshy leather from that time period, right? Let me know if this is the wrong thread...Thanks for any info!
2006 isn't one of the better years. I would say 2005 or older and then 2007 had better leathers.

CeeJay

A BAL-enced Life!
O.G.
Dec 6, 2005
A Yank in SoCAL
2006 isn't one of the better years. I would say 2005 or older and then 2007 had better leathers.
2006 S/S was the WORST EVER for Balenciaga leather because BAL stupidly changed leather manufacturers! The leather was horribly thin, with the 'wrinkling' so distinct that many thought the bags would rip. That was THE ONLY time I ordered a bag "online" (I usually always had to see the leather IRL)! Anyhow, I had ordered the 2006 S/S Emerald .. and OMG! I was so stunned at HOW BAD that leather was that I immediately returned it. This was probably the ONLY time Balenciaga actually "listened" to their customers, because there was such an outrage about the leather and no one was buying .. that they actually switched back to the original manufacturer for the 2006 F/W line. As such, the 2006 F/W leather is not as bad as the S/S version ..

Reactions: fayden

fayden

latest obsession :
O.G.
Nov 18, 2005
big apple
2006 S/S was the WORST EVER for Balenciaga leather because BAL stupidly changed leather manufacturers! The leather was horribly thin, with the 'wrinkling' so distinct that many thought the bags would rip. That was THE ONLY time I ordered a bag "online" (I usually always had to see the leather IRL)! Anyhow, I had ordered the 2006 S/S Emerald .. and OMG! I was so stunned at HOW BAD that leather was that I immediately returned it. This was probably the ONLY time Balenciaga actually "listened" to their customers, because there was such an outrage about the leather and no one was buying .. that they actually switched back to the original manufacturer for the 2006 F/W line. As such, the 2006 F/W leather is not as bad as the S/S version ..
Yup I agree, I had an ink and it was very crackly. although my Rouge Vif was really chewy and thick. but for the most part I remember 2006 to be veiny and dry.

samfalstaff

Holy Hannah!
May 31, 2013
San Rafael, California
Yup I agree, I had an ink and it was very crackly. although my Rouge Vif was really chewy and thick. but for the most part I remember 2006 to be veiny and dry.
Thanks for the replies. I found a black City from 2005 (chèvre) and an agneau Town from 2012 in castagna. They will be my first Bals after awhile. I briefly had a new First a couple of years ago but wasn't that impressed with the leather and sold it. At the time I (stupidly) didn't realize the leathers would be different per year.

Anesthestia

Nov 7, 2017
New York
I'm in my early 20s and though I was too young to even know what Balenciaga was back when the bags were "trending", I'm a big fan of the giant city. I purchased a beautiful rose azalee at a great price last year and it's the most practical bag; so lightweight. I just find myself a little too worried about the corners since it does seem to scuff up quite easily, which is the only reason I don't wear the bag more...

The only reason I haven't gotten a second city is because I'm primarily a Chanel girl and the prices just keep going up, so I'm always priorizing some other Chanel bag over getting another Bal. I really do want to add a dark-colored one to my collection! They're just amazing bags overall and look chic with almost any outfit.
1593911249051.png

Reactions: fayden

muchstuff

"Add to cart"
Authenticator
Jun 6, 2014
Vancouver
Thanks for the replies. I found a black City from 2005 (chèvre) and an agneau Town from 2012 in castagna. They will be my first Bals after awhile. I briefly had a new First a couple of years ago but wasn't that impressed with the leather and sold it. At the time I (stupidly) didn't realize the leathers would be different per year.
Castagna was actually 2010, beautiful leather on those bags, I have a Velo in that colour.