Need a watch - Cartier or Rolex?

myztic

Dec 5, 2010
I'm looking to purchase a nice watch and wanted some suggestions on what you are LOVING or have in constant rotation?

I was thinking a Cartier Panthere or a Rolex DateJust (not sure on colors though and size)...

any thoughts or suggestions?

(This would be a first fancy/higher end brand watch.)

Last edited:

Gabs007

Feb 5, 2018
I got the Cartier Montre Tank Solo, I am really happy with it (should actually wear it, not have it in a drawer) it is timeless and goes with everything, not in your face, and looks as good with something elegant as it does with jeans

Onebagtoomany

Apr 16, 2011
UK
I’m not a fan of Rolex personally. I bought a two tone Cartier Panthere watch in the small model a few months ago and absolutely love it. I was going to rotate it with other watches but haven’t taken it off my wrist other than to shower! It is such an elegant and feminine watch.

underarmbag

Mar 16, 2012
Rolex, all the way. Clean, classic. And slightly tacky but sooo delicious. If you are very feminine it can be a nice accent in your outfits. But both are very solid classics you will get a lot wear out of them and won't regret the investment. But me personally... nothing beats the magic of Rolex for me.

• Haha
Reactions: bisousx and myztic

O.G.
Aug 31, 2008
i am more a Cartier than Rolex person (for reasons of aesthetics) and I have owned several in each brand. Rolex may hold its value the most (if that’s important to you) and can take more of a beating In that you can swim with it; and if you bang into a wall, it’s just as likely to dent the paint as to be damaged itself. I just think Cartier makes the more beautiful watch. But, I also like a chunkier mans watch size as it makes me feel more feminine and thinner lol. By the way, your iphone will always have more accurate time than either automatic. Have fun looking and trying them on! I don’t think you can go wrong with either. another tPFer @Jvj13 posted a thread recently On watch chest on eBay (I’m not familiar with watch chest) but she also linked to a Rolex watch forum that coould be a fun and informative read for you in addition to TPF. http://www.louisvuittonbag.net/threads...-preowned-rolex-from-the-watch-chest.1034014/ (I like reading about other people’s passion for watches, bags, jewelry, perfumes and other assorted topics.

Last edited:

Christofle

Apr 21, 2011
Montreal
Personally, I would recommend going to several dealers that have multiple watch brands to try them all on, since limiting yourself to Cartier and Rolex might make you miss out on some other options. Between the two, the datejust has the most dial/bezel configurations and will be a far more casual option if that's what you are looking for. The Cartier is available in both automatic and quartz versions so if you want a reliable watch with minimal fuss the quartz panthère might be a good option.

Christofle

Apr 21, 2011
Montreal
How would I decide on sizing? It seems larger watch faces are in, but will that stand the test of time?
35mm is a great size because any smaller and the numbers can sometimes be a pain to read especially as one gets older.

Although if you prefer the chunky look 40-42 mm might be preferable. Also everything is relative to your wrist size!

• Love
Reactions: RT1 and 880
Feb 20, 2008
This is such a personal choice — these are two very different (and beautiful!) watches and I had a similar predicament. I was choosing between a Cartier Ballon Bleu and a Rolex Datejust and ended up going for the Rolex after trying them both on. They both looked great (and I will get the Cartier one day ☺) but the Rolex just suited my style and wrist the best. The Cartier is more “dressy” and delicate whereas the Rolex is chunkier and “watchy” (my word ). So, it all depends on your style. Can’t go wrong with either — good luck with your decision and let us know what you end up with!

sdkitty

O.G.
Jan 16, 2006
San Diego
I think the cartier watch is beautiful but it's a quartz watch, isn't it? if so, then you're basically paying for jewelry, whereas rolex is a "real" watch. I'd probably go with rolex but you do have maintenance on a mechanical watch and with the quartz, you may never have to do anything except change the battery.

O.G.
Aug 31, 2008
How would I decide on sizing? It seems larger watch faces are in, but will that stand the test of time?
is your Jewelry style classically feminine, then perhaps go smaller (I tend to think of people who like the panthere as classic and feminine, but that’s JMO)
are you more sporty and like oversized jewelry, then go bigger (men’s Rolex oyster, Cartier pasha c etc. at this point, a 35 is almost on the small size for men, so the trend seems here to stay. . .

what’s your body type/wrist size. I’m short but not petite. . . My wrist is large (as per my verdura SA Where I’ve save money bc sadly nothing fits) So, larger watch is best.

agree with @Christofle, that as one gets older, it’s hard to read a watch thats smaller, and I found rolexes ladies champagne colored dial difficult even when I had better younger eyes

@sdkitty, Cartier Is a jewelry company but watches come in quartz and automatic :biggrin:

Last edited:

Christofle

Apr 21, 2011
Montreal
Just a bit of history for those that might be interested:

I’m not entirely sure why Cartier’s historical watchmaking prowess keeps getting forgotten. However Cartier was producing watches before Rolex even existed. In fact they are credited with creating the first men’s watch in 1904 for the pilot Santos.

Moreover Rolex doesn’t have an haute horlogerie branch nor do they use elaborate hand finishing on their movements.

Cartier has been creating some truly technical masterpieces.

60064F69-B515-4BED-A24B-5DD4728A9F3E.jpeg