Life after being fully vaccinated

LemonDrop

a Fendi bag and a bad attitude
O.G.
Jul 5, 2007
USA
I am still living life guarded but glad to have some breathing room. Still wear a mask, social distance and wash my hands a lot. We went on a road trip and took our dogs to a few dog beaches in southern California. We've had one isolated senior neighbor come over for dinner. He's been vaccinated too. I think it was good for both our souls. My job is requiring me to fly in for yearly training soon. While I would prefer not to go, I am not so stressed out now that I have been vaccinated.

nycmamaofone

Jul 26, 2013
Me too. They are the worst. I feel so sorry for people who must wear them all day for work.
I wear them all day, everyday for work. At first it was HARD. Now I’m used to it. It helps that I got some cute designs from Masklab (still protective though—FFP2 rated) so I’m able to exercise my love for fashion while wearing them. The biggest annoyance wearing them is having to act like it’s a covert operation every time I want to drink coffee, eat a snack, or eat my lunch.

zinacef

O.G.
Feb 5, 2006
Warm south
Me too. They are the worst. I feel so sorry for people who must wear them all day for work.
that‘s me! just used to it now! Ears are just sore , used to have stuff to prevent soreness on the ears but it was more trouble so now I just use good ole bandaids on the top crease of my ears. It would probably be permanent for us to have this from now on.

LavenderIce

Vintage CLs please
O.G.
Dec 19, 2006
I've been fully vaccinated since early January and I have been maintaining all the safety protocols. I wear my mask anytime I'm out of the house, even when going down the driveway to get my mail. I avoid crowds. I sanitize and wash my hands constantly. I don't feel comfortable dining indoors, so it's been take out or very limited outdoor dining. I've had hair and other self care appointments when they've allowed even before my vaccination. The only thing I miss is travel, but I'm not in a rush to get on a plane.

Jul 9, 2009
In India the massive current wave is mainly due to people relaxing hygiene and social distancing since they have been vaccinated it’s not a complete protection just part of the package we still need to mask hand wash and social distance I won’t be eating out shopping partaking of entertainment/ hospitality or meeting anyone other than my close family it’s all too risky

Sep 13, 2007
The prairies of the Midwest
I'm still wearing a mask, washing my hands, social-distancing. I don't feel comfortable dining indoors. Or shopping recreationally. Not until there's some herd immunity in our community, and that may take a while.

As for girlfriends, we're all trying to figure out when it will be safest to get together and how now that we've all been vaccinated. Some of us haven't seen each other in a year.

DH traveled to see his elderly parents whom he hasn't seen in a year and who are doing poorly. He also visited siblings who've been vaccinated. I stayed home because I'm caring for my elderly mom and don't want to pick up and pass anything on to her. After all the vaccines aren't 100 percent effective.

Every time we venture out of the house it still requires careful thought.

hermes_lemming

my little etoupe
O.G.
May 5, 2006
The shots are unfortunately not 100% effective and never claimed to be. Even a small percentage of people who will still get it is still a lot of people.

In the last year, I have only gone to some doctor appointments. I have not so much as stepped foot into ANY store, groceries included. I got vaccinated so I can feel more comfortable doing modest activities with precautions. (Basically, I will be doing all the things every other person I know has been doing this entire time, but with more confidence).
Explain that to the people who think they're free to go precovid yoloing once they get the shot sans mask or social distancing

LavenderIce

Vintage CLs please
O.G.
Dec 19, 2006
  • Love
Reactions: 880
Jul 9, 2009
I'm still wearing a mask, washing my hands, social-distancing. I don't feel comfortable dining indoors. Or shopping recreationally. Not until there's some herd immunity in our community, and that may take a while.

As for girlfriends, we're all trying to figure out when it will be safest to get together and how now that we've all been vaccinated. Some of us haven't seen each other in a year.

DH traveled to see his elderly parents whom he hasn't seen in a year and who are doing poorly. He also visited siblings who've been vaccinated. I stayed home because I'm caring for my elderly mom and don't want to pick up and pass anything on to her. After all the vaccines aren't 100 percent effective.

I wish everyone was as sensible as you

Apr 4, 2021
One of my colleagues and also some patients asked why I still wear a mask even though I am fully vaccinated and it makes me want to scream. I feel like the education system is so lacking if people cannot understand simple things.

1. The vaccine is not 100% effective, it doesn't produce a immune response in all those that take it (no vaccine ever does, we just need enough people to take it to get herd immunity)

2. There are new variants of the virus and we do not know if the vaccine will protect against those variants since they were not around when the vaccine was made and tested.

3. Even if you do produce a immune response, how long will it last for? 3,6,9 months? We actually don't know because this has not been studied.

The only time it will be safe to not wear masks is when we have herd immunity, and unfortunately the current rate of vaccinations seems very slow and may give the virus time to mutate further into a version that will not work against the vaccine.

Masks do work if used correctly as well as being hygienic. I feel like most people just wear them for show, and because they have to, but it's pointless if not worn correctly or if you keep touching the mask or your face without proper hand washing.

Jul 9, 2009

I havent seen my elderly mum for almost 14 months - it involves a flight ( not happening ever ) or a 10 hour ferry trip ( this is ok as long as I can book a cabin with its own air supply!! I’m not mingling with hundreds of people for 10 mins let alone 10 hours ) I’m now trying to work out the best time to go and see her- I so regret not going last summer but by sept when I was planned a trip for her birthday infections were already rising and we had the new variant in the uk so it was too dangerous to even think about taking that over there . She has had both jabs now and I will get mine by June so I’m just praying the overseas variants don’t get too big a hold here by then as our OAZ vaccines are ineffective against them - I just want to see her - if I hug her I will never want to let go - she can’t travel to stay with us as she too poorly and needs her local medical support and carers but she told me this morning she has been crying as she is scared she will never see me again and my heart is breaking

Jul 9, 2009
One of my colleagues and also some patients asked why I still wear a mask even though I am fully vaccinated and it makes me want to scream. I feel like the education system is so lacking if people cannot understand simple things.

1. The vaccine is not 100% effective, it doesn't produce a immune response in all those that take it (no vaccine ever does, we just need enough people to take it to get herd immunity)

2. There are new variants of the virus and we do not know if the vaccine will protect against those variants since they were not around when the vaccine was made and tested.

3. Even if you do produce a immune response, how long will it last for? 3,6,9 months? We actually don't know because this has not been studied.

The only time it will be safe to not wear masks is when we have herd immunity, and unfortunately the current rate of vaccinations seems very slow and may give the virus time to mutate further into a version that will not work against the vaccine.

Masks do work if used correctly as well as being hygienic. I feel like most people just wear them for show, and because they have to, but it's pointless if not worn correctly or if you keep touching the mask or your face without proper hand washing.
Best post ever xx

doni

O.G.
Oct 10, 2007
So good for some many people being vaccinated. Here in Europe is so slow...

I think the main point of the vaccines is not the effectivity, which generally is very high, specially against the worst symthoms. The problem with the vaccines is that it has not been established that you are not contagious once vaccinated. We are socially distancing to protect others, and so far, that remains whether vaccinated or not...