How to Carry a Kelly... or Not

papertiger

MOD
Authenticator
O.G.
May 23, 2009
G-orgeous H-eaven
I should go back for a second look at the pics above. I didn’t see spine cracking on the kelly above or stress on the shoulder pads attaching the rings. I think someone mentioned the peeling could be due to moisture.
That was me but I changed my mind.

Humidity will break down leather sooner but @pinke said the leather was fine elsewhere. Just need to point out for others who don't know, Pinkie didn't do this to the bag.

It could be a combo of the two, but the point is, even if a bag doesn't look as bad as this one, that's what someone is going to their bag in the long run if they carry the bag open. The stress is intense on those stress points.

doni

O.G.
Oct 10, 2007
I should go back for a second look at the pics above. I didn’t see spine cracking on the kelly above or stress on the shoulder pads attaching the rings. I think someone mentioned the peeling could be due to moisture.
I think if the bag would be carried open with weight pulling towards the front, that’t the place where it‘d break or? Also, the bag was in quite nice state overall, no cracks anywhere else, only those points.
But I am no expert on how bags break down (although I should be :P )

Mar 6, 2020
It never occurred to me that people carried their Kellys open to show the stamp. I figured it was because they were running around and the Kelly takes a few extra seconds to fasten (yes I know it’s seconds but people be lazy). I Know the few times I didn’t fasten my Kelly right away I was rushing out of a store to get somewhere else not because I wanted the folks at Trader Joe’s to see my Hermes stamp.

Dec 28, 2007
Jardin sur Le Toit
It never occurred to me that people carried their Kellys open to show the stamp. I figured it was because they were running around and the Kelly takes a few extra seconds to fasten (yes I know it’s seconds but people be lazy). I Know the few times I didn’t fasten my Kelly right away I was rushing out of a store to get somewhere else not because I wanted the folks at Trader Joe’s to see my Hermes stamp.
I agree here. Sometimes I carry it open just for a while if not using a strap, to get easy, fast access to pay, but my bag is never heavy, I don’t let it dry out to this extent and it’s pointless to think people need to see the logo. Those who know a Kelly, just know. My very first Kelly was from a European store as a walk-in customer and my SA told me to always use at least one strap and also not just the turnlock for the flap. I listened to her.

O.G.
Aug 31, 2008
OT, I adore my 28 sellier kelly (DH says it’s the sexiest bag in the world lol) but it is most convenient to do up both straps under the flap, so you just have to twist the turnlock and lift the flap to get in. Caveat is, I can get my hand inside and lift out smaller things, without undue stress (On the bag). For fastest access (like in a grocery store line) I do carry my Amex in my cargo pants pocket. But, For a retourne, especially a larger size (this one may be a 32?) I think it should be even easierto slip on ones hand in to pull out a phone or wallet. This presumes Of course your hand can easily fit and doesn’t stretch or strain (the bag) :biggrin: of course, YMMV.

@Pinkie, Your pic is gorgeous, but some people even carry the bag without doing up the turnlock. As per @duna, your way, If your bag is loaded, over time, the turnlock could bend. As @periogirl28 advised, if you even do up one strap it would provide a little more support. BTW, I have owned a preloved bag at one point whose turnlock was slightly bent (By previous owner) and I was careful with it. IMO bent turnlock Isn’t good, but is far better than Damaged spine or Loose base lock or shoulder pad. Note: a beater kelly can be very chic, but hopefully one gets it at a beater price. and, IMO, if you want to load an unstrapped bag with heavy stuff, wear a birkin. Below, two pics of kelly bags strapped under the flap.
D29C29B8-73C0-4853-A105-6D1FC6CB8040.jpeg F9A176A0-C5D9-43C6-A327-AAA72B2E8418.jpeg

Last edited:

cravin

Nov 16, 2017
For me it isn’t showing the logo, the logo is so small that I don’t believe anybody can see it. I like the look of distressed Kelly closed with the hook but from your answers it look like this is also wrong way of wearing it

View attachment 4881777
wife carries her 28 sellier with both sangles loose but figures it’s pretty light as she can’t cram a bunch of stuff into it.

she carries her 32 retourne with both sangles around the turnkey but tucked in under the flap. She keeps that bag pretty full.

she is also almost always wearing them crossbody with a strap

cravin

Nov 16, 2017
OT, I adore my 28 sellier kelly (DH says it’s the sexiest bag in the world lol) but it is most convenient to do up both straps under the flap, so you just have to twist the turnlock and lift the flap to get in. Caveat is, I can get my hand inside and lift out smaller things, without undue stress (On the bag). For fastest access (like in a grocery store line) I do carry my Amex in my cargo pants pocket. But, For a retourne, especially a larger size (this one may be a 32?) I think it should be even easierto slip on ones hand in to pull out a phone or wallet. This presumes Of course your hand can easily fit and doesn’t stretch or strain (the bag) :biggrin: of course, YMMV.

@Pinkie, Your pic is gorgeous, but some people even carry the bag without doing up the turnlock. As per @duna, your way, If your bag is loaded, over time, the turnlock could bend. As @periogirl28 advised, if you even do up one strap it would provide a little more support. BTW, I have owned a preloved bag at one point whose turnlock was slightly bent (By previous owner) and I was careful with it. IMO bent turnlock Isn’t good, but is far better than Damaged spine or Loose base lock or shoulder pad. Note: a beater kelly can be very chic, but hopefully one gets it at a beater price. and, IMO, if you want to load an unstrapped bag with heavy stuff, wear a birkin. Below, two pics of kelly bags strapped under the flap.
View attachment 4881825 View attachment 4881826
you may be starting a trend of color matching your bag with your mask in your closet.

papertiger

MOD
Authenticator
O.G.
May 23, 2009
G-orgeous H-eaven
wife carries her 28 sellier with both sangles loose but figures it’s pretty light as she can’t cram a bunch of stuff into it.

she carries her 32 retourne with both sangles around the turnkey but tucked in under the flap. She keeps that bag pretty full.

she is also almost always wearing them crossbody with a strap

I am a proper little madam(*e) all done up :queen: but my 32 K is a Sellier and I carry it in-hand, it would look like I lost my mind to have that wide-open.

O.G.
Aug 31, 2008
Thanks @cravin! I am a 28 sellier person myself, and like ^ don’t carry much in in, but I was surprised at how much 28s (albeit retourn) can fit (as per these older threads).

I think @Meta bumped @license to cook ‘s original thread

and there is page thirteen on in this thread http://www.louisvuittonbag.net/threads/be-honest-do-you-use-the-kelly-as-an-everyday-bag.71167/page-13

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: RT1 and Four Tails
Feb 22, 2020
London
For me it isn’t showing the logo, the logo is so small that I don’t believe anybody can see it. I like the look of distressed Kelly closed with the hook but from your answers it look like this is also wrong way of wearing it

View attachment 4881777
I also love this look but judging by the other posts unless you can buy more than one Kelly wearing it this way will ultimately damage it.
Unless you have worn a top flap bag with Kelly closure have a good think as to wether the Kelly works with your needs.
I own a Jypsiere and to be honest its kind of turned me off of owning a Kelly as its a bit of a 'faff' to get in and out of and without a back pocket to store phone, travel card keys etc it could never be an every day bag for me.
Your needs may be similar to mine.
I often find I use my Jypsiere with the sangles done up under the flap so that I can just reach in and grab my phone if it rings -but it doesn't look as cute.
Therefore I've realised that a Birkin would definitely work better for me as an everyday forever bag much as I love the idea of having a Kelly retourne worn with a long strap and a bit slouchy I cant and dont want to spend 6k + on a preloved bag and damage it