Earring Dilemma - Frivole and Lotus

DS2006

Sep 27, 2013
I think they are totally different than both Frivole pairs, so in that case I think the Lotus are justified. The wg pave earrings always look more dressy to me than the other metals, though, so I know I would not wear the Lotus very much. As long as you think you'll wear them enough to enjoy having them, then go for it!

I am really replying because I'd love to see an ear shot with your pg Frivole earrings since we both decided we don't wear yg well! I just have not had the opportunity to try on pg earrings and am kind of hopeful I can wear it with pave or stones!

Nov 11, 2018
I think they are totally different than both Frivole pairs, so in that case I think the Lotus are justified. The wg pave earrings always look more dressy to me than the other metals, though, so I know I would not wear the Lotus very much. As long as you think you'll wear them enough to enjoy having them, then go for it!

I am really replying because I'd love to see an ear shot with your pg Frivole earrings since we both decided we don't wear yg well! I just have not had the opportunity to try on pg earrings and am kind of hopeful I can wear it with pave or stones!
I also tend to get nervous about what earrings can (and can't) be worn casually. For example, I own very few pairs of drop earrings because I think they almost inevitably look too dressy. But somehow pave earrings seem to work both ways to me.

I included a photo of my pave frivoles. I am really terrible at taking these photos, however. :sad: I wore these earrings almost daily for quite a few months. I think rose gold tends to work better for me than yellow gold. But I think it is the really shiny yellow gold of the (non-pave) frivoles and guilloche that really just didn't work for me. Yellow gold in a pave version might be ok, but I've never tried it. Hope this helps!
IMG_1188.jpeg

Last edited:

DS2006

Sep 27, 2013
I also tend to get nervous about what earrings can (and can't) be worn casually. For example, I own very few pairs of drop earrings because I think they almost inevitably look too dressy. But somehow pave earrings seem to work both ways to me.

I included a photo of my pave frivoles. I am really terrible at taking these photos, however. :sad: I wore these earrings almost daily for quite a few months. I think rose gold tends to work better for me than yellow gold. But I think it is the really shiny yellow gold of the (non-pave) frivoles and guilloche that really just didn't work for me. Yellow gold in a pave version might be ok, but I've never tried it. Hope this helps!
View attachment 5258628
Those are just gorgeous! I do agree that pave tones down gold colors. Thanks so much for for the picture...I'd love to try these!

Reactions: JewelryLover101

BigAkoya

O.G.
Nov 23, 2006
Hi! Well, I'll be the dissenting vote. I have both, the Frivole WG pave earrings and the Lotus earrings, and in my opinion, I would only get the Lotus earrings if you love the earring design itself. While I love the Lotus ring, I have never loved the Lotus earrings and still do not.

The Frivole and Lotus earrings are not duplicative; they look very different. To me, Frivole earrings pop; Lotus earrings are boring. They are in different leagues, not the same at all.

My Frivole WG pave earrings are super blingy, the all WG complements the pave diamonds, and the Frivole 3-dimensional design is so beautiful on the ear, as if the flower is in bloom. I wear it often with my Frivole WG pave BTF ring. I love the set together.

My Lotus earrings are nice, but they look flat and boring. The design is a very basic symmetrical flower earring (yawn), nothing special. I only bought them to go with my Lotus ring as nothing else really matched the Lotus ring. I love the Lotus ring, it's gorgeous and very creative. The Lotus earrings make a perfect set, and I'm super matchy matchy which is why I purchased the earrings. However, I do not love the earrings by themselves as it's a very basic design. More importantly though, because they are a flat design, for me, they do not give that pop on my ear as the Frivoles do.

If you love the design, get them. If not, for me, I would rather take the money and get another Frivole piece. If you do not already have the Frivole pave pendant, I think the pave pendant with the pave earrings would be beautiful. Or how about a ring? Do you like the Frivole pave BTF ring? It's super gorgeous.

That's just my thoughts to share with you. Good luck in your decision! I posted photos of my sets in case you want to compare side by side. You may have already tried the Lotus earrings on in the store though.

Last edited:

BigAkoya

O.G.
Nov 23, 2006
I also want to add... you mentioned you saved up, but you are now hesitating. Ask yourself why you are hesitating, but also ask yourself why you want them.

I thought I loved the Lotus earrings at first, but then I hesitated. I asked myself the same two questions. I realized I was hesitating because I loved the Lotus ring design, but not the single flower earrings as I found them to be nothing special. I asked myself why I wanted them. The answer was because they matched the ring. That was a good enough answer for me to get them.

I think if you ask yourself why you are hesitating and why you want them, things may become a bit more clear. Hope that helps.

I still vote for a Frivole pendant or ring if you do not already have those. I can never get enough of Frivole. :biggrin: :heart:

30th anniversary cuff
O.G.
Aug 31, 2008
I just always fear buyer's remorse down the road...it's happened a few times
this phrase caught my eye and I would love to hear more. (I’m always interested in the thought process of deciding whether to get something ). I was going to compose a response, but @BigAkoya said it all. Only buy what you love. If you are hesitating, figure out why. It could be bc the lotus are not inexpensive, but it could also be that you love them in theory but not for you. I find I’m happiest when I listen to the inner voice in my head. Happy shopping!

I thought I loved the lotus ring, but paused and realized I only loved it in the open position. I went on to buy other things. In the course of my own process, I determined that I may not really be a VCA person. The jewelry world is fun, and there is a lot to explore.

Nov 11, 2018
Hi! Well, I'll be the dissenting vote. I have both, the Frivole WG pave earrings and the Lotus earrings, and in my opinion, I would only get the Lotus earrings if you love the earring design itself. While I love the Lotus ring, I have never loved the Lotus earrings and still do not.

The Frivole and Lotus earrings are not duplicative; they look very different. To me, Frivole earrings pop; Lotus earrings are boring. They are in different leagues, not the same at all.

My Frivole WG pave earrings are super blingy, the all WG complements the pave diamonds, and the Frivole 3-dimensional design is so beautiful on the ear, as if the flower is in bloom. I wear it often with my Frivole WG pave BTF ring. I love the set together.

My Lotus earrings are nice, but they look flat and boring. The design is a very basic symmetrical flower earring (yawn), nothing special. I only bought them to go with my Lotus ring as nothing else really matched the Lotus ring. I love the Lotus ring, it's gorgeous and very creative. The Lotus earrings make a perfect set, and I'm super matchy matchy which is why I purchased the earrings. However, I do not love the earrings by themselves as it's a very basic design. More importantly though, because they are a flat design, for me, they do not give that pop on my ear as the Frivoles do.

If you love the design, get them. If not, for me, I would rather take the money and get another Frivole piece. If you do not already have the Frivole pave pendant, I think the pave pendant with the pave earrings would be beautiful. Or how about a ring? Do you like the Frivole pave BTF ring? It's super gorgeous.

That's just my thoughts to share with you. Good luck in your decision! I posted photos of my sets in case you want to compare side by side. You may have already tried the Lotus earrings on in the store though.
I also want to add... you mentioned you saved up, but you are now hesitating. Ask yourself why you are hesitating, but also ask yourself why you want them.

I thought I loved the Lotus earrings at first, but then I hesitated. I asked myself the same two questions. I realized I was hesitating because I loved the Lotus ring design, but not the single flower earrings as I found them to be nothing special. I asked myself why I wanted them. The answer was because they matched the ring. That was a good enough answer for me to get them.

I think if you ask yourself why you are hesitating and why you want them, things may become a bit more clear. Hope that helps.

I still vote for a Frivole pendant or ring if you do not already have those. I can never get enough of Frivole. :biggrin: :heart:
Thank you for the input! I do have the pave frivole pendant that matches my rose gold earrings. It is beautiful. I am pretty much done buying pendants at this point, however. I have quite a few holiday pendants, a few other VCA pendants and some non-VCA pendants. Which is all fine because I tend to wear pendants more than other necklaces, but I really don’t need anymore at this point. I am also not much of a ring person. While all of the between the finger rings are just gorgeous, they really don’t work for me. I wear the same rings day in and day out (same with bracelets).

I also don’t know that (for me personally) I could see having two sets of the same earrings both in pave - so both rose gold pave and white gold pave Frivoles. It’s a bit too duplicative for me. I bought the white gold (non pave) Frivoles because as much as I love the large yellow gold Frivoles, I learned the hard way that the bright yellow gold just doesn’t work for me. I love the white gold mirror finish but they only come in the small size, so that is why I bought them. And they are different enough from my rose gold to justify both.

I love the design of the lotus. I think they are absolutely beautiful in terms of the design. For me it was somewhat of a question of buying the Vintage Alhambra white gold pave or the lotus. And the lotus seem to be the clear winner in terms of design to me. I think my hesitation is largely about the price tag. And the fact that I haven’t had the opportunity to try them on and probably won’t for some time - I live a good distance from a boutique. So I fear that they won’t work as well as I want them to casually. I have no issues wearing the rose gold Frivole casually, but I’m not sure if the same will be true of the lotus.

Thanks again for your detailed response!

eletons

Feb 6, 2021
If you set aside the fund for this and the fund is for this purpose of purchasing the lotus, then go for it.

Don't worry about owning what other people have as long as it looks good on you because it's you who are wearing it. When it comes to clothes or jewellery, it's all about your personal style and lifestyle.

Frivole pave diamond may look good but maybe I have Trypophobia, I like it in mirror polished ones.

If you worry about making a mistake, you can always sell it to me second-handed with original price within a year. :blush: with proof that it's purchase from the store.

BigAkoya

O.G.
Nov 23, 2006
Thank you for the input! I do have the pave frivole pendant that matches my rose gold earrings. It is beautiful. I am pretty much done buying pendants at this point, however. I have quite a few holiday pendants, a few other VCA pendants and some non-VCA pendants. Which is all fine because I tend to wear pendants more than other necklaces, but I really don’t need anymore at this point. I am also not much of a ring person. While all of the between the finger rings are just gorgeous, they really don’t work for me. I wear the same rings day in and day out (same with bracelets).

I also don’t know that (for me personally) I could see having two sets of the same earrings both in pave - so both rose gold pave and white gold pave Frivoles. It’s a bit too duplicative for me. I bought the white gold (non pave) Frivoles because as much as I love the large yellow gold Frivoles, I learned the hard way that the bright yellow gold just doesn’t work for me. I love the white gold mirror finish but they only come in the small size, so that is why I bought them. And they are different enough from my rose gold to justify both.

I love the design of the lotus. I think they are absolutely beautiful in terms of the design. For me it was somewhat of a question of buying the Vintage Alhambra white gold pave or the lotus. And the lotus seem to be the clear winner in terms of design to me. I think my hesitation is largely about the price tag. And the fact that I haven’t had the opportunity to try them on and probably won’t for some time - I live a good distance from a boutique. So I fear that they won’t work as well as I want them to casually. I have no issues wearing the rose gold Frivole casually, but I’m not sure if the same will be true of the lotus.

Thanks again for your detailed response!
Since you love the Lotus design and your hesitation is wearing them casually, for what it’s worth, I wear both my sets casually all the time, as in casual with a striped tee and shorts. I would not worry at all about wearing it casually. It will look fine. The VCA name and price may mentally add to the formality, but take those out of your mind and it’s just a flower earring with diamonds which you can google and see all over the place, not just for formal wear.

You seem to be an earring gal and love earrings (I’m a ring and long necklace gal). If I were an earring gal though, I would want the VA Pave earrings in my collection.

Maybe try both on to compare. But I think I see Lotus earrings in your future!

By the way, I had to order mine. I bought them unseen, but my SA said they were similar in size to my Frivole which was fine for me (not too big).

If you have saved and are ready to get them, you may have to order them to try them, especially now with inventory issues.

Nov 11, 2018
Since you love the Lotus design and your hesitation is wearing them casually, for what it’s worth, I wear both my sets casually all the time, as in casual with a striped tee and shorts. I would not worry at all about wearing it casually. It will look fine. The VCA name and price may mentally add to the formality, but take those out of your mind and it’s just a flower earring with diamonds which you can google and see all over the place, not just for formal wear.

You seem to be an earring gal and love earrings (I’m a ring and long necklace gal). If I were an earring gal though, I would want the VA Pave earrings in my collection.

Maybe try both on to compare. But I think I see Lotus earrings in your future!

By the way, I had to order mine. I bought them unseen, but my SA said they were similar in size to my Frivole which was fine for me (not too big).

If you have saved and are ready to get them, you may have to order them to try them, especially now with inventory issues.
Yes, unfortunately the lotus (much like lots of things) seem to be in short supply right now! I did put a deposit down for them, so hopefully they will come in shortly. I am most definitely an earring person! I have the onyx limited edition VA earrings and I have my eyes on the mother of pearl Magic Alhambra earrings to satisfy the "Alhambra" position in my collection. Thank you again very much for your input!

• Love
Reactions: 880 and BigAkoya
Nov 11, 2018
this phrase caught my eye and I would love to hear more. (I’m always interested in the thought process of deciding whether to get something ). I was going to compose a response, but @BigAkoya said it all. Only buy what you love. If you are hesitating, figure out why. It could be bc the lotus are not inexpensive, but it could also be that you love them in theory but not for you. I find I’m happiest when I listen to the inner voice in my head. Happy shopping!

I thought I loved the lotus ring, but paused and realized I only loved it in the open position. I went on to buy other things. In the course of my own process, I determined that I may not really be a VCA person. The jewelry world is fun, and there is a lot to explore.
My buyer's remorse statement relates mostly to the mini frivole yellow gold earrings and guilloche earrings which I bought rather early on in my VCA "collecting" and subsequently sold. They look great on others, but not me (not the bright yellow gold).

• Insightful
Reactions: DS2006 and 880

lynne_ross

O.G.
Dec 18, 2008

This 100%. That little voice. Though I do find hearing other’s opinions allows that little voice to either speak up or shut up.

mochaccino

Jan 8, 2012
You already got a lot of great responses, but I thought I’ll add mine too. For reference I also have the small WG frivole and the lotus. I think I’m one of the rare people who prefer frivole in metal instead of pave :P To me the metal makes a big difference, so I wouldn’t consider RG frivole and WG lotus to be redundant, and the two designs are quite different visually. I didn’t think I’d be able to wear lotus too often, but after seeing so many TPF members rocking them with casual outfits I started to wear them to work and didn’t feel too self conscious (my work dress code can range from extremely casual to business depending on who else is on site :P).

I think one thing that might matter to you aside from visual similarities is fit: for me the frivole fits better on my ear lobes and the 3D petals look more “right” than the lotus from the front (aka the view easiest for me to see), but the lotus does have 2 post positions so one of them might work better for you. At this point it is very subjective to the wearer! The lotus earrings (and socrate BTF ring) were my first VCA loves so I always knew I would get them.

I completely understand the the apprehension regarding cost—if you aren’t in a hurry, perhaps you can see if it comes in stock online? Then you could return for refund if it’s not what you envisioned. Alternatively, if you knew it’s either pave VA or lotus then you won’t have an issue buying from your SA/boutique over the phone. Good luck deciding :flowers:

Here’s a quick visual comparison:
D55AD715-8EC0-40EA-BF3A-9E004849D12F.

Nov 11, 2018
You already got a lot of great responses, but I thought I’ll add mine too. For reference I also have the small WG frivole and the lotus. I think I’m one of the rare people who prefer frivole in metal instead of pave :P To me the metal makes a big difference, so I wouldn’t consider RG frivole and WG lotus to be redundant, and the two designs are quite different visually. I didn’t think I’d be able to wear lotus too often, but after seeing so many TPF members rocking them with casual outfits I started to wear them to work and didn’t feel too self conscious (my work dress code can range from extremely casual to business depending on who else is on site :P).

I think one thing that might matter to you aside from visual similarities is fit: for me the frivole fits better on my ear lobes and the 3D petals look more “right” than the lotus from the front (aka the view easiest for me to see), but the lotus does have 2 post positions so one of them might work better for you. At this point it is very subjective to the wearer! The lotus earrings (and socrate BTF ring) were my first VCA loves so I always knew I would get them.

I completely understand the the apprehension regarding cost—if you aren’t in a hurry, perhaps you can see if it comes in stock online? Then you could return for refund if it’s not what you envisioned. Alternatively, if you knew it’s either pave VA or lotus then you won’t have an issue buying from your SA/boutique over the phone. Good luck deciding :flowers:

View attachment 5259657
This is so helpful, thank you! I am glad there is someone else out there who tends to prefer the white gold mirror finish in the Frivole! I would love to buy the non-pave large yellow gold, but I know they won't work for me, so this was my "consolation" prize. And I love them! I agree that I think they look better than the pave version.

Seeing these earrings side by side convinces me that they really are totally different. And I think I can easily justify owning both. I absolutely love the lotus design, but I might be in the minority.

Do you find that the lotus sits further down on your ear? I have noticed in some photos that it appears to sit quite low on some people.

Reactions: DS2006

DS2006

Sep 27, 2013

View attachment 5259657
That's possibly the best picture I have seen of the Lotus! They are gorgeous!!! I can't see me wearing them casually, but I definitely want the wg Frivole for that! I am going to repost this picture in the earring thread!

@JewelryLover101 As much as I love this picture of the Lotus earrings, I would say that the VA pave is easier to wear casually. They are definitely a step down from the Lotus in terms of being dressy.

• Insightful
Reactions: 880