Does anyone regret not having a shoulder strap on their Birkin

O.G.
Aug 31, 2008
There's a difference between "do you wish your Birkin had a strap?" and "do you find an arm carry bag to be a drag sometimes?".
Yep, this! And if you are ever in a rush, but behind someone in line, who is taking her time struggling with her H bag while it’s on her arm, it’s a drag for you too. (Am not always as patient as I should be Lol)

Jan 9, 2016
I LOVE Birkin, but as of yet I can’t bring myself to spend that much on a bag. However, I’m sure I’ll be ready in a year or two. Right now I only carry shoulder bags. I’m wondering if the hand option would end up being a regret for me. I know Kelly has a strap but I don’t care for them, especially because I don’t like top handles with shoulder straps. Plus they look too formal for my lifestyle.

Has anyone gone from being a strictly shoulder bag carrier to hand held in Birkin specifically? How was the adjustmen?

thanks
The worst bag for me to have is a bag that only has a top handle or is only hand held. With that being said I own a b25, which is exactly the least practical for me. But like you said, I love the way the bag looked! I bought this bag knowing it would NOT be my go-to handbag. I bought it knowing it would be my special occasion bag and that I would use when I’m not walking much or carrying much. I have a bunch of other handbags for that anyways. This has worked out well for me, because I bought it with this kind of mindset. If I expected more from it, I would have surely been disappointed.

If you are a shoulder carry person and expect the Birkin to replace your shoulder bags, I think you would be disappointed. Like the other replies you received, try a bag similar in style/size and see if it works! If it doesn’t work and you still want a Birkin, change your expectation and mindset for the bag. Good luck.

demicouture

@babymoghi
O.G.
Mar 13, 2007
I have a little collection of Birkins starting from almost 20 years ago when Kate Moss was spotted with her beat up white one and it was all the rage.. I of course had to have them too.. without really thinking how heavy and (to me) impractical they will turn out to be.
So sadly they have all retired for now as I am a Kelly girl through and through .
I do love the Kelly being so practical so it totally fills the void for me :smile:
I am not sure how a strap on the bigger Birkins would work? Maybe on a 25?

bisousx

O.G.
Jan 3, 2008
out of my suitcase
I don’t want a Birkin to say I have a Birkin. I want one because I think it’s beautiful. I have no intention of adding a strap, I don’t want to ruin the aesthetic of the bag. I was asking if carrying one after only using shoulder bags was an adjustment anyone was able to overcome.

As for the Evelyn I really don’t care for them. I appreciate the suggestion though. Just not anything I would want.

I appreciate everyone’s response and if anyone else wants to chime in on the adjustment I’d love to hear it.
I don’t think I have ever adjusted from feeling free with a purse with strap to arm-carrying my Birkins. It has always bothered me while carrying them. After a lot of consideration, I think I may be happier with the Kelly and a casual sangle. Regret is a big word though. I don’t regret owning and wearing such a beautiful and timeless item.

Reactions: maxroxxherhandbags

Tonimichelle

It’s all about the bag!
Apr 9, 2013
UK
www.etsy.com
For donkeys years I was strictly a shoulder bag or cross body person. Carrying a bag on my arm felt way too ladylike for the way I dress and my personality and I thought it would be far too irritating. My first H bag convinced me to give it a go at least. Fast forward a few years and in that time I’ve realised several things. Arm carry is actually easier when you have small shoulders that bags used to previously slip off of. A Birkin is a casual tote and can easily not look too dressy in the crook of your arm. Cross body these days gives me backache! I can function perfectly well doing everyday tasks with a bag on my arm however handheld only would drive me insane. Now even the bags I have that come with shoulder straps are generally carried without the strap. I’d be a bit reticent to try a B25 as I’m not sure about the handle drop, but the switch to a B30 or B35 was definitely easy!