City bag out of stock?

Slink2015

Sep 6, 2016
Hi everyone,
I am new to this part of PF. I’ve mostly stayed in the coach and LV sections, but finally was able to get my hands on a well priced preloved classic city.
I saw the post about a SA saying it was going to be discontinued in favor of the neo version, which I don’t like. Then I noticed that the classic is out of stock on the Balenciaga website, low in stock on Neiman Marcus etc...

My question is, do these go out of stock often (I’m looking just at the black classic)? Is it like LV where you have to stalk the site? Or are these potentially actually gone for good :confused1:

muchstuff

"Add to cart"
Authenticator
Jun 6, 2014
Vancouver
Hi everyone,
I am new to this part of PF. I’ve mostly stayed in the coach and LV sections, but finally was able to get my hands on a well priced preloved classic city.
I saw the post about a SA saying it was going to be discontinued in favor of the neo version, which I don’t like. Then I noticed that the classic is out of stock on the Balenciaga website, low in stock on Neiman Marcus etc...

My question is, do these go out of stock often (I’m looking just at the black classic)? Is it like LV where you have to stalk the site? Or are these potentially actually gone for good :confused1:
There have been rumours about the City being discontinued more than once in the past and they were proven wrong. But with the advent of the Neo, who knows for sure?

Slink2015

Sep 6, 2016
There have been rumours about the City being discontinued more than once in the past and they were proven wrong. But with the advent of the Neo, who knows for sure?
Yeah I’ve seen you guys say it’s been wrong before. I guess my bigger question was do they go out of stock often? Or is this out of the ordinary? If so, I’m thinking I need to buy one before they’re gone :sad:

muchstuff

"Add to cart"
Authenticator
Jun 6, 2014
Vancouver
Yeah I’ve seen you guys say it’s been wrong before. I guess my bigger question was do they go out of stock often? Or is this out of the ordinary? If so, I’m thinking I need to buy one before they’re gone :sad:
I’m the wrong person to answer that as I rarely buy new. Anyone else have an answer?

RT1

Hubble Telescope Image of the Orion Nebula
O.G.
Sep 8, 2006
Texas
JMHO, if they do discontinue them, now might be the right time to buy a few since they are at reasonable prices. :tup:

Reactions: muchstuff

TwiggyM

O.G.
Jan 5, 2011
Hi,

I’m by no means a Balenciaga expert, but I’ve owned a few over the years and regularly visit my local Balenciaga store (I’m in Europe).They told me last week that the City is a model that’s now being discontinued in favour of the new Neo City. They sold their last few of the “older” style on sale last week - all black ones with classic gold or silver hardware and don’t expect anymore coming in. I’ve also noticed that most of the more well known webshops and large shopping centres with and without online presence here in Europe don’t carry the City anymore. So even if there has been rumours about this before something definitely seems to be going on in my opinion.

ksuromax

MADBAGGER
Authenticator
Feb 9, 2016
Dubai, UAE
i posted it already, and will repeat again - on my last visit to the Bal store (about a month ago, or so) my SA confirmed to me - City is being phased out.
i don't know how when they officially stop production, but if you have funds and see the bag that you really like, i'd say go for it now!

CeeJay

A BAL-enced Life!
O.G.
Dec 6, 2005
A Yank in SoCAL
i posted it already, and will repeat again - on my last visit to the Bal store (about a month ago, or so) my SA confirmed to me - City is being phased out.
i don't know how when they officially stop production, but if you have funds and see the bag that you really like, i'd say go for it now!
Well, this will be interesting for sure .. that could (potentially) mean that the resale values might go up?!?! .. that would be nice for those of us who have pre-loved bags and don't want to sell them for pennies on the dollar!

Also, I would say that many retail stores are simply not purchasing as much merchandise .. and with Balenciaga, I know for a fact (from my friend who worked at Barneys NY) .. that Bal was requiring that the retail store pay for the merchandise up-front (as opposed to a 'loan' which they used to do). With Balenciaga sales being higher than before, alas .. they can make the rules!

• Love
Reactions: wisconsin and RT1

Taimi

Mar 6, 2015
Europe
I have only two City bags and not planning to buy more as I have enough bags already. Actually I had three, but sold my metallic edge one last year. Anyways, I find this very odd. The City bag is a Bal classic, the only classic Balenciaga has, in my opinion. Just like LV getting rid of the Speedy. Most likely they didn’t sell well though, they wouldn’t discontinue it if it did, but still.

Jan 26, 2014
Far West Texas
Don’t think it is! If you follow The Kingdom in Calabasas, they have the City in stock. I’m not believing the hype. Stores will continue to carry them but I don’t think Demna wants to push a design that isn’t his, although we all know this original city is the house’s bread winner

CeeJay

A BAL-enced Life!
O.G.
Dec 6, 2005
A Yank in SoCAL
Don’t think it is! If you follow The Kingdom in Calabasas, they have the City in stock. I’m not believing the hype. Stores will continue to carry them but I don’t think Demna wants to push a design that isn’t his, although we all know this original city is the house’s bread winner
I know the owner of "The Kingdom" and he may have special ordered them; I know he has done that before ..

Reactions: foxmomlovesbbag

atlantis1982

Feb 20, 2012
If the City is being d/c'ed, I wonder if that will eventually mean the only way to get a new one is through outlets, since they seem to carry old(er) styles/colors/hardware? (I noticed TJ Maxx/Marshall's have bags with G12 & G21 hardware, as well as a Part Time on their sites now. Clearing out old back stock?)
Regardless, Demna seems determined to poo all over the Bal many of us fell in love with almost 20 years ago. Shame.