Burberry is Changing

Feb 9, 2019
I know they had to stay away from 'B' but they should have realised 'TB' was already taken too.
Actually, most of the bags by Tory Burch have a different logo that does not use the words TB so it's not really taken. However, I think the TB logo might possibly cause confusion for people that are not really familiar with handbags.

I liked how they just had the name Burberry in simple small lettering on their bags before.

TheNordstrom Anniversary Saleis NOW open to Ambassador cardmembers.Click or tap to shop the Nordstrom sale!
P.S. Don't forget to join the activeNAS 2020 threadand share your hauls with the community!

Liberté

O.G.
Jan 5, 2007
Across a pond
The new TB monogram is nice and well-designed, but that's about it.
I also really like the TB monogram and the pattern that Tisci made and I hope they will keep it around. I much prefer that to the plaid, although there's no reason why they couldn't keep both around. I don't have a lot of experience with the new products, but I don't think the leather goods are well made compared to what I would expect from a LVMH brand at the same price point...

Reactions: averagejoe

averagejoe

AJ
Authenticator
O.G.
Nov 22, 2006
Toronto
I also really like the TB monogram and the pattern that Tisci made and I hope they will keep it around. I much prefer that to the plaid, although there's no reason why they couldn't keep both around. I don't have a lot of experience with the new products, but I don't think the leather goods are well made compared to what I would expect from a LVMH brand at the same price point...
The quality is definitely not the same as LVMH. I find that LVMH uses the best leathers of all the conglomerate brands. After all, they are so vertically-integrated that they own their own tanneries!

Reactions: Liberté

Jolly Wolf

Nov 6, 2012
Neverland
I never thought that TB could refer to Tory Burch, but I know this brand very well. And I agree with you that it is very risky to use this initials.

TB monogram day’s are numbered on my opinion. It might me cool now, but in five years nobody’s gonna stand it.

They lack a classic bag... I always think about Gucci when I am talking about Burberry because I see in Gucci what Burberry could’ve been.
Take the Marmont bags for example, they are a huge success and it seems that they are here to stay. At least for a while. Burberry should to improve that TB bag to make it a hit and make a stand, bet on it.

Burberry needs to tell the public that no matter what, their buyers will always have the english tradition and heritage, a classic trench, a classic monogram and a classic bag to get back to.

IntheOcean

Authenticator
Apr 4, 2018
I personally like how the TB monogram looks, it may be a bit on the busier side, but in a good way.

However, I do think it may be confusing to quite a few people who don't know what the letter T means in regards to Burberry and who are familiar with the Tory Burch brand. I initially thought it quite weird and my mind automatically jumped to Tory Burch every time I saw the new TB monogram, even though I'm not really into Tory Burch at all and only had one item by that brand years ago. But after some time, I got used to the monogram and now it doesn't bother me and I don't associate it with anything other than Burberry.

But I doubt it will stand the test of time. Not that it shouldn't, but I just don't think it will. Perhaps if Burberry come out with a really popular bag in that monogram, something that will be their next It bag... But if not, I don't think the TB monogram will last long.

Reactions: papertiger

papertiger

MOD
Authenticator
O.G.
May 23, 2009
G-orgeous H-eaven
The quality is definitely not the same as LVMH. I find that LVMH uses the best leathers of all the conglomerate brands. After all, they are so vertically-integrated that they own their own tanneries!
Do you mean LV or all LVMH brands?

I know Gucci process leathers for others too, I still prefer newer Gucci (Kering) against most newer Dior (LVMH) but also against YSL/SLP (Gucci manufacture for, also Kering of course).

Away from Epi, patents and other stamped leather (that seem a bit thin for my taste) LV has very good quality leather.

The challenge with Burberry is they have 2 distinct bag levels. The the more commercial lines (usually cheaper, incidentally made in China labels, but that shouldn't necessarily mean lesser quality at all) and then the higher priced 'made it Italy' (if we are to believe them) that are often the seasonal models seen first at the shows.

Burberry sales have to take into account like all luxury brands the growing Chinese market. In 2018 it accounted for 33% of sales of goods classed as luxury, projections anticipate a figure over 40% in 5 years. I think they are banking on a more sophisticated clientele that now exists there, customers that will grow with Burberry. China has plenty of home-grown domestic brands as well as foreign imports that can deal with tiers at 'diffusion' level high-end.

The only way to go is up IMO. Authentically exclusive and for those that are discerning. But, there will never be that 'Goldrush' growth they had in the '00s so there's little point in chasing it.

averagejoe

AJ
Authenticator
O.G.
Nov 22, 2006
Toronto
Do you mean LV or all LVMH brands?

I know Gucci process leathers for others too, I still prefer newer Gucci (Kering) against most newer Dior (LVMH) but also against YSL/SLP (Gucci manufacture for, also Kering of course).

Away from Epi, patents and other stamped leather (that seem a bit thin for my taste) LV has very good quality leather.

The challenge with Burberry is they have 2 distinct bag levels. The the more commercial lines (usually cheaper, incidentally made in China labels, but that shouldn't necessarily mean lesser quality at all) and then the higher priced 'made it Italy' (if we are to believe them) that are often the seasonal models seen first at the shows.

Burberry sales have to take into account like all luxury brands the growing Chinese market. In 2018 it accounted for 33% of sales of goods classed as luxury, projections anticipate a figure over 40% in 5 years. I think they are banking on a more sophisticated clientele that now exists there, customers that will grow with Burberry. China has plenty of home-grown domestic brands as well as foreign imports that can deal with tiers at 'diffusion' level high-end.

The only way to go is up IMO. Authentically exclusive and for those that are discerning. But, there will never be that 'Goldrush' growth they had in the '00s so there's little point in chasing it.
I mean most LVMH brands like Fendi, Celine, Dior, and Loewe. LV to some extent, especially on their higher-priced pieces. But with the other LVMH brands, their nice leathers are often available on lower-priced pieces. I find their leathers exquisite.

I think Burberry should have tried harder to upscale by eliminating their "lower level" bags. I know that this can put a dent in sales, but it is an investment in the long run. Since they kept the lower end, and also still produced RTW at multiple price points (like with Burberry Brit, Prorsum, etc., but now all under one label), the end result is that sales didn't decline as much, but the brand was unable to convince more customers that it was more upscale. Upscaling isn't guaranteed to work, as in the case of Mulberry which had to lower its price points after sales declined with higher prices, but it takes a consistent effort to see any potential result.

Upscaling can take years, though. Maybe their approach will eventually work. I just saw photos of the newest Burberry boutique in China and it is quite impressive:

papertiger

MOD
Authenticator
O.G.
May 23, 2009
G-orgeous H-eaven
I mean most LVMH brands like Fendi, Celine, Dior, and Loewe. LV to some extent, especially on their higher-priced pieces. But with the other LVMH brands, their nice leathers are often available on lower-priced pieces. I find their leathers exquisite.

I think Burberry should have tried harder to upscale by eliminating their "lower level" bags. I know that this can put a dent in sales, but it is an investment in the long run. Since they kept the lower end, and also still produced RTW at multiple price points (like with Burberry Brit, Prorsum, etc., but now all under one label), the end result is that sales didn't decline as much, but the brand was unable to convince more customers that it was more upscale. Upscaling isn't guaranteed to work, as in the case of Mulberry which had to lower its price points after sales declined with higher prices, but it takes a consistent effort to see any potential result.

Upscaling can take years, though. Maybe their approach will eventually work. I just saw photos of the newest Burberry boutique in China and it is quite impressive:
I would have fun there!

Doesn't look like that TB logo is going anywhere soon then :biggrin:

As I said earlier in this thread, I have a new Burberry coat. It was love at first sight, fantastic quality (interestingly made in Poland, had to check). Everything I wanted in a peacoat (reefer) after looking for 5 years for the perfect one. The the leather trim is great too. I wouldn't hesitate to go to Burberry for more RTW, especially coats but still not convinced about bags.

They really need some great designs that scream quality, a British aesthetic (after all that's what they're exporting, a sense of Britishness) and that fit the brand's core values.

Last edited:

OneMoreDay

Oct 1, 2014
I feel like they should have stayed away from a new monogram and logo altogether :annoyed:, there was a huge stigma about Burberry being 'chavvy' in the UK for a long time, but they managed to get rid of that image through cutting down on the check and only using it as an accent on accessories and clothing. I don't know why RT thought it would be a good idea to try to fix something that was no longer broken. I'll attach some pictures of why B had a bag image over here.

View attachment 4804656

View attachment 4804658
Yep. Before there was Gucci Gang there was the Burberry Chav.

Jul 26, 2012
I'm not a fan of the TB. It doesn't even look like Burberry! And the colours...that orange and blue. Blinding...and not in a good way! The banner bag is lovely though without the check. The coats are also very classy and stylish.

OneMoreDay

Oct 1, 2014
They tried to 'go Gucci' in many ways since RT, but it's better when brands stay true to their own identity.
The funny thing is, Michele's Gucci works because the reference points are littered throughout the house's history, just reworked through his vision. I had trouble at the beginning of Michele's tenure but he was at least consistent and always interesting. The narrative is there, the vision is there and the history actually backs it up. But I don't get a solid grasp of Burberry's identity in Tisci's work, only an abstract idea that eludes me once I get some sense of it. It feels like Tisci's still playing catchup in hopes of attracting a younger clientele, something pointed out in the article Averagejoe linked:

Changes can only produce tangible results if they are quick, honest, and comprehensive. When most brands initiate new programs, they don’t go deep enough. Making a new logo, streamlining designs, and beautifying the Instagram feed is hardly sufficient.

Last edited:

cloee

O.G.
Nov 25, 2006
The giant and mega check patterns on scarves were good, it gave a more youthful vibe to the classic check. The nova check appealed to younger crowd too. Their coats and trenches, other rtw could have still been good if they hadn’t revamped too many things all at once. In their desire to cater to the millenials and younger generations, they lost those who were loyal to the brand. I am mostly just going to the outlets to find whatever is left from their previous collections.