Alto vs florentine?

Aug 13, 2014
I saw the remark from Lavenderjunkie concerning the Alto line and the suede bags. I purchased one bag from the Alto line during the July sale. I was surprised the suede portion looked better than I expected, but price does tend to influence my opinion when I make a D&B purchase.
GAllyn: I've wondered if the Alto leather was a higher grade of full grain leather (smoother and
even textured) or if the surface was buffed. It's a beautiful leather. I'm glad your bag is a winner.

G.Allyn

Dec 12, 2013
GAllyn: I've wondered if the Alto leather was a higher grade of full grain leather (smoother and
even textured) or if the surface was buffed. It's a beautiful leather. I'm glad your bag is a winner.
I forget the name of the bag I ordered in July. The Camilla? It is a satchel from the alto line, with smooth leather, and it is the same as all my other alto bags. The suede is in the center. The color was a wine shade and it is pretty INL.

Aug 13, 2014
I forget the name of the bag I ordered in July. The Camilla? It is a satchel from the alto line, with smooth leather, and it is the same as all my other alto bags. The suede is in the center. The color was a wine shade and it is pretty INL.
Glad it is a winner. I liked the wine color.
Both the Camilla and the Zena styles came with suede center panels.
The Zena has a zipper top, the Camilla has a tab closure.

DooneyLuva77

Dec 28, 2020
Hello Ladies. I have many Florentine leather bags and a few in the natural color. Today I received my first Medium Satchel in natural. I was so excited waiting for it! It is the most beautiful caramel color! BUT!!! there are linear lines on the front of it. I will attach pictures. Not sure what they are. I can return and order another but I'm afraid I will get one in a lighter colo. Any thoughts!! Please! Thank you. Carmen 20210113_170855.gif 20210113_170855.gif 20210113_170841.gif 20210113_170837.gif 20210113_170830.gif

Aug 13, 2014
The lines you see might be the natural stretch marks in the leather, or other variations in the leather,
which are more visible because of the way the dye absorbs. Some ladies feel that this, among other
things, is a natural characteristic of the full grain leather that is used for Florentine handbags. The surface is not buffed or polished during the tanning and manufacturing process, so the natural characteristics of the leather are often visible. Many people consider any alternation to the natural surface of the leather....
whether buffing or embossing, etc. to result in a lower quality leather product, and only consider
full grain leather to be top quality.

Full grain leather, like that used in Dooney Florentine handbags is considered the 'best' leather.
But, like in all things, there are probably different grades of full grain leather.... some more
'perfect' than others.

All that said, you need to be happy with your handbag. For some ladies it's the texture or smoothness
that is most important, for others it's the color, and for others it's the absence of pebbling, etc.
When we order on line, we don't get to choose the bag that we like best, and that makes it hard
to know what to do. Each bag is different.... if you can order another one and get it before you need
to return the first.... you could choose between them. But you are increasing your cost when you do this
because you will be paying for the return.

Also, over time as you use the Florentine bag and the leather darkens surface defects may be less visible.
Of course, when you use a handbag, you will be adding your own beauty marks. :smile:

DooneyLuva77

Dec 28, 2020
The lines you see might be the natural stretch marks in the leather, or other variations in the leather,
which are more visible because of the way the dye absorbs. Some ladies feel that this, among other
things, is a natural characteristic of the full grain leather that is used for Florentine handbags. The surface is not buffed or polished during the tanning and manufacturing process, so the natural characteristics of the leather are often visible. Many people consider any alternation to the natural surface of the leather....
whether buffing or embossing, etc. to result in a lower quality leather product, and only consider
full grain leather to be top quality.

Full grain leather, like that used in Dooney Florentine handbags is considered the 'best' leather.
But, like in all things, there are probably different grades of full grain leather.... some more
'perfect' than others.

All that said, you need to be happy with your handbag. For some ladies it's the texture or smoothness
that is most important, for others it's the color, and for others it's the absence of pebbling, etc.
When we order on line, we don't get to choose the bag that we like best, and that makes it hard
to know what to do. Each bag is different.... if you can order another one and get it before you need
to return the first.... you could choose between them. But you are increasing your cost when you do this
because you will be paying for the return.

Also, over time as you use the Florentine bag and the leather darkens surface defects may be less visible.
Of course, when you use a handbag, you will be adding your own beauty marks. :smile:
Thank you Lavender for the reply! It is really a beautiful color and I love that. No pebbled parts at all. I love pebbled leather bags also though lol. The explanation helps. I may go ahead and order another to compare them. I found a coupon code for 25% off so I'm going to see if it still works. Plus the return window is extended now due to COVID. i will update when the new one arrives. Thank you again!
Carmen

all2joy

Feb 2, 2015
North AL
You are such a gem! Thanks for the explanation. I may consider collecting an alto. My concern is if it can take the wear and tear of my busy life. The florentine is so yummy and pliable. My favorite bag right now is a small florentine satchel I just got in ocean...it's used about 8 years old I think....but super super super soft and pliable. Just love it....the alto does look like old money....a collection piece....the scratches would bother me on an alto I think....the raw leather lining sounds beautiful...beautiful....the hunt continues :nuts:
For an everyday Alto, I use the Oriana in Natural and White color....both colors seems to hold well. Most Altos you have to be very careful to avoid scratches.

Aug 13, 2014
For an everyday Alto, I use the Oriana in Natural and White color....both colors seems to hold well. Most Altos you have to be very careful to avoid scratches.
A2J: you are a brave woman! I'm terrified on Natural and White Alto. :smile: They are beautiful,
but I'm so afraid of color transfer and dirt. For everyday, I found black and navy work best for me.
But I must admit, Alto is not my everyday choice. I'm a saver. It's too 'good' for everyday use. :smile:
I'm impressed that you enjoy your Altos every day.

DooneyLuva77

Dec 28, 2020
I'd keep it but I have a lot of stretch marks after 3 kids LOL. I have an appreciation for such things.
HA! That's funny! LOL
I went ahead and ordered another one so fingers crossed! I was also able to order a Fushia and Pale Blue medium satchel at the same time. Those two colors kept popping on there intermittently and I struck quick! Excited!

Aug 13, 2014
HA! That's funny! LOL
I went ahead and ordered another one so fingers crossed! I was also able to order a Fushia and Pale Blue medium satchel at the same time. Those two colors kept popping on there intermittently and I struck quick! Excited!
Fuchsia is a rare find. And pale blue is lovely also.
Hope your Flos arrive quickly and are all both winners.

DooneyLuva77

Dec 28, 2020
That fuchsia was super super tempting and beautiful! Congratulations! Send pictures!
I definitely will post pics! In case anyone is interested, there is a coupon code that I found for 25% off your order on Dooney. It's MONEYGIRL. I have used it several times with success. I got the medium satchels for like 216 using rewards also. Can't beat that!